Thursday 3 July 2014

WIP Wednesday - almost...

So on this side of the world it's Thursday, but I have a WIP I wanted to share with you anyway!


There are so many lovely patterns out there but only so many hours in the day. With this in mind I've been making some random blocks as samples with the idea of turning them into cushions. I've had these two pieced for a couple of months but am trying to finish them soon!


This plus block is 15" x 15" with the smallest squares finishing at one inch. Despite this it went together so quickly! I've quilted it with close straight(ish) lines. The texture this creates in my favourite!


The circle of geese is only my second attempt at foundation paper piecing. Foundation paper piecing is not the most economical way to piece but I love the detail and accuracy that it achieves! I used the pattern from Piece By Number printed on my home printer. I'm thinking of quilting this one with concentric circles in a mixture of machine quilting in white thread and hand quilting in brightly coloured pearle 8 cottons.


I'm still not decided on a backing fabric for the pluses, but I think this Joel Dewberry print might be just the thing for the Circe of geese. 

And I'm liking up to WIP Wednesday because it's still Wednesday somewhere!!

5 comments:

  1. Love both these blocks and I love your idea of mixed quilting - can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought some needles today ready to start hand quilting. I'm nervous though! Wish me luck!!

      Delete
  2. Those are beautiful. I love the colours you chose for the pattern too. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! Gotta love a good rainbow :-)

      Delete
  3. I love both blocks, I wanted to make a flying geese circle about a year ago and didn't have a pattern so I created one, let me say yours looks so much better! I too love the texture your quilting created, keep up the fun quilting!

    ReplyDelete